MR. E.S KAURA fsi, Director Investigation & Monitoring
The investigation unit is one of the Department/Unit of the Agency. The unit deals with general investigation of all cases of Human Trafficking, Child Labour, and arrest of all suspected traffickers.
The Unit is headed by Director who co-ordinates all the investigation activities. The Unit Head also has other sub-units headed by other officers i.e., Reactive, Proactive Detention and Release and Registry Units. In the seven zones created by the Agency, the operation unit of the zones is headed by an investigation officer who co-ordinates all investigation activities in collaboration with the Director of Investigation and Monitoring at the Headquarters in Abuja
* Response to Human Trafficking Related Complaints
* Rescue of Existing/Potential Victims
* Investigation of Cases of TIP and Child Labour
* Surveillance and Monitoring the activities of traffickers
* Investigate the Violation of any provision of the Act
* Arrest and Detain any person suspected to have violated the provision of this Act
* With a warrant, search any premises or carrier in relation to violation of the provision of this Act
* Interrogate and take statements of victims, suspected offenders witnesses and all other persons as it affects the violation of the Act
* Prepare report for the prosecution unit
* Provide security to detainees
* Take charge of the monitoring database
* In conjunction with other Security Agencies, ensure the protection of witnesses/information
* Liaise with appropriate Security Agency in collection of intelligence on traffickers and victims from our Diplomatic and Consular Missions abroad
* Establish an effective communication method with the Anti-Trafficking Unit of Immigration and Police and other security agents at State and Federal levels
* Prepare Security report and update some of the modus operandi of trafficking in persons
* Responsible for evacuation, repatriation and extradition of traffickers/victims. B. METHODOLOGY OF INVESTIGATION
* Reactive to Complaint
* Proactive Operation – Intelligence led
* Disruptive Operation
* Joint Operation* Intelligence Gathering and Exchange with Other Security Agencies, Diplomatic Mission and International Cooperation
* Surveillance and Monitoring
C. Cases Reported and Investigated
* Number of Cases Reported/Investigated (inception – April, 2010) = over 1000
D. Activities of the Department
* Capacity Building for Law Enforcement
* Dev. Ifo 5.0 Data Base Administration
* Manpower Development Training Program
* NAPTIP/Immigration and Police Officers Course
* NPF Detective College, Enugu
* Train the Trainer course
* Training of Personnel at Defence Intelligence School
* Training of Personnel at NDLEA
* Training Programme for Law Enforcement Officers at Nigeria Border Posts Bordering Benin, Niger, Cameroon and Sea Water
* United Nations Office on Drugs & Crime (UNODC)
- Measures to Combat Trafficking in Human Beings in Benin, Nigeria and Togo (Project R 13)
* Training in Illegal Migration – Madrid
* Economic and Financial Crimes Commission Training and Research Institute (Karu – Abuja)
- National Retreat for Senior Law Enforcement Officers – Building Integrity for Professional Law Enforcement
* US Department of Justice
- Office of Overseas Prosecutorial, Development Assistance and Training
* Anti-Trafficking in Persons Training
* Child Protection Communication Materials Development Workshop
* Expert Meeting to Critique Innovative Experience on Response to Child Trafficking Manual – Documents and Child Protection Policy
* Workshop for Training of Law Enforcement Officers by America Bar Association
* Bilateral Meeting with French Government in Paris on Strengthening and Developing a Working Relationship to handle TIP related matters with the Agency
* Bilateral Meeting with Netherlands Government TIP matters
FUNCTIONS/DUTIES OF THE INVESTIGATION UNIT
· Investigate the violation of any provision of the Act.
· Arrest and detain any persons suspected to have violated the provision of this Act
· With a warrant and search any premises or carrier in relation to violation of the provision of the Act
· Interrogate and take statements of victims, suspected offender, witnesses and all other persons as it affect the violation of the Act.
· Prepare report for the prosecution unit
· Provide security to detainees.
· Take charge of the Monitoring Data Base.
· In conjunction with other security Agencies, ensure the protection of witness/informants
· Liaise with National Intelligence Agency (NIA) in collection of intelligence on traffickers and victims from our Diplomatic and consular missions abroad.
· Monitor the activities of traffickers.
· Established an effective communication method with Anti-trafficking Unit of Immigration and Police and other security agents at State and Federal Levels.
· Prepare security report and update some modus operandi of Trafficking in Persons.
· Responsible for evacuations, repatriation and extradition of traffickers/victims.
KINDS OF ARRESTS
· Exportation of persons in and outside the country.
· Procurement of any persons.
· Causing or encouraging the seduction or prostitution of any person under 18 years.
· Procurement of any persons for prostitution for pornography and use in armed conflict.
· Foreign travel which promotes prostitutions.
· Unlawful detention with intent to defile.
· Procuring defilement of any person by threats, fraud or administering drugs.
· Kidnapping from guardianship.
· Kidnapping and abducting in order to commit culpable homicide.
· Buying or selling a person for a purpose.
· Unlawful forced labour.
· Trafficking in slaves.
· Slave dealing.
· Child Abuse.
· Statement taking.
· Arrest and detention.
· Report writing.
· Prosecution of offenders.