The Legal and Prosecution department is one of the operational Departments of the Agency meant to address the issue of trafficking in persons and other related offences by way of prosecution of offenders as provided for in Section 9 of the Trafficking in Persons (Prohibition) Law Enforcement and Administration Act, 2003 as amended (hereinafter referred to as the Act.
Section 8 (2) of Traffic in Persons (Prohibition) Law Enforcement and Administration Act 2003 (as amended) provides for the Department’s functions as follows:
• Prosecuting offenders under the Act.
• Supporting investigation Department with Legal advice and assistance whenever required.
• Acting as secretariat to the board.
• Conducting such proceedings as may be necessary towards the recovery of any asset or properties forfeited under this Act.
• Performing such other duties as the Agency may refer to from time to time.
Prior to 2003, there was no anti – trafficking in persons legislation in Nigeria. The then wife of the vice president, Federal Republic of Nigeria, Mrs. Titi Abubakar, was responsible for setting up a committee which included persons drawn from relevant bodies to draft an anti – trafficking bill. The bill was the first private bill presented to and passed into law by the National Assembly. The then President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo assented to it on, 14th July, 2003. The Bill gave birth to Trafficking in Persons (Prohibition) Law Enforcement and Administration Act, 2003. Section 1 (1) of the Act established a multi dimensional crime fighting Agency known as the National Agency for Prohibition of Traffic in Persons and Other Related Matters (NAPTIP).
The law was subsequently amended by Trafficking in Persons (Prohibition) Law Enforcement and Administration (Amendment) Act, 2005 to give practical translation to some of the enforcement powers of the Agency.
TRAFFICKING IN PERSONS (PROHIBITION) LAW ENFORCEMENT AND ADMINISTRATION ACT, 2003 AND TRAFFICKING IN PERSONS (PROHIBITION) LAW ENFORCEMENT AND ADMINISTRATION (AMENDMENT) ACT, 2005.
The Department is headed by the Director, Legal and Prosecution. Under him are seasoned prosecutors.
Training / Workshop
The Department is involved in organizing sensitization and training workshop. Some of the training and workshops organized so far include the following:
• Sensitization workshop for the Bar and the Bench for 22 project states of the Federation
• Trial Advocacy Seminar
• Trafficking in Persons training programme
- Legal and Prosecution
- Contact Person: Name: Hassan Hamis Tahir
- PHONE: +2348037871457